How to sell your jewelry easily and fast.
Good day wonderful people
This article is for those of you who are thinking of starting a jewelry selling business. It is also for those who have started one but are looking for ways to improve it.
You can start selling your jewelry at craft shows. I would suggest this for beginners who have just started selling. Craft shows attract a consumer base that is actively looking for handmade goods. They are willing to pay high prices (given that your jewelry is good quality) and have come prepared to spend. I would not recommend opening a brick-and-mortar store for several reasons :
- They are expensive. You have to pay rent, utilities and for the renovations needed to attract customers
- Jewelry is not something people buy every day. You may get repeat customers who enjoy your work, but they will not come frequently (it may be months in between each visit)
- There may be months during which you have no sales
- Your consumer base is small and niched, it may not exist in your town
- You will have to convince people who had no intention of buying jewelry to buy yours
When you go to fairs, you will have competition so you must do your best to stand out. Use bright, but not unflattering colors in your set up. Use jewelry displays that draw the eye in and emphasize your jewelry. Use signs that draw the eye.
This is the new way to sell. The best thing about this is that you can sell to virtually anyone in the world.
Some people use platforms such as Etsy. These are great and you can find some wonderful communities in Etsy, but when you sell on Etsy, you have to abide by their rules.
- Etsy has to enforce strict rules because they can be held liable if sellers misuse the platform.
- You also have to pay a fee per item listed
- You can only list an item for up to four months, after that you have to relist and pay the fee again (this leads to high fees for beginners as it is difficult for buyers to see your items when you are beginning (unless you pay for advertising which means more money)
- You pay a “listing” fee for each item that you sell
- You pay a transaction fee (based on item value and shipping) each time you sell
AS you can see, Etsy is not friendly to beginner sellers, all of these fees are substantial unless you sell well, it may take months to make your first sale (which means that you will have to pay relisting fees again).
You could use other platforms, but they also come with high monthly subscription fees, and they limit your ability to use the platform based on the plan that you choose.
I would suggest getting your own website. I would strongly recommend WordPress. AS a platform, it is completely free you only pay for your hosting.
Word press has a WooCommerce plugin that is completely free. You can choose from thousands of free themes that will work perfectly with WooCommerce.
The best thing about WordPress is that you can add a blog to your store without any hassle since it is primarily a blog site. There are hundreds of free plug-ins available to customize your store to suit your needs. Adding your products is incredibly easy, you can even use variations.
WordPress the site is free but you have to pay for hosting. Here is where the best part comes in. With Bluehost, this cost is very low. You can start off by paying $2.95 PER MONTH.
Here’s why Bluehost is the best option:
- It’s CHEAP, only $2.95 when you are starting, you can upgrade easily when you traffic increases and it is still under $30 for their best package.
- They have a FREE domain. You register for a domain as you sign up for their service,
- For those who already have a domain, they can integrate it for you,
- As a seller, this is the most important part, FREE SSL. Your site will be secure and your customers do not have to worry about getting their credit cards hacked,
- They have 24/7 support. Any problem that you have will be taken care of as soon as possible.
- ONE-CLICK WORDPRESS INSTALL. You do not have to be knowledgeable about anything related to coding, it is all done for you.
How to get Bluehost:
Click on the get started green button
You will have three choices. Choose the one that’s best for you. The basic is good enough for starters, but if you do not want ot go through the pain of changing plans later, I would recommend the Plus plan.
Next, enter your domain. The best part is, IT’S FREE. Make sure that you pick a memorable but unique name. You want it to be associated with you and your jewelry.
You will then be directed to your payment page. Enter your details and you are good to go.
Next, you will have to set up WordPress, they have great support for this on the website. Just click the button and it will install.
the next article is about how to get traffic to your website to sell. Click here to go to it.